Master of Social Work Online
60 Total Credits
900 Hours Field Placement
Download a FREE Program Brochure
It’s packed with program details, courses and more. To get yours and speak with an enrollment counselor about financial aid, complete the form below.
Note: All fields required.
Pursue Your Passion & Promote Mental Health and Recovery
Address Complex Mental Health and Social Issues with A Focus on Clinical Social Work
Gain the recovery values, approach, and tools to create a more just and humane society by earning your Master of Social Work degree online with Utica College. Bring your vision for the promotion and treatment of mental health to life through a program that will equip you with the ability to respond to and provide innovative solutions that promote dignity, autonomy, and mental health among diverse populations.
Utica College’s fully online and flexible approach enables you to pursue your academic and professional goals while still maintaining a healthy work/life balance. Upon graduation, you’ll be prepared to sit for the licensure exam(s) in your state.1 The MSW Program in clinical social work is currently in pre-candidacy for accreditation by the Council on Social Work Education’s Commission on Accreditation (CSWE-COA).3
Rigorous Coursework & Research-Based Skills Development
Prepare for licensure and clinical social work practice through an integrated curriculum designed to be completed within eight semesters – including your field placement hours. Coursework is grounded in the fundamentals of social work, including trauma-informed practice, assessment of mental health, motivational interviewing, psychodynamic theories, and cognitive behavioral theories. Specific classes include:
Power, Privilege, and Oppression
Examine historical and ongoing dynamics of oppression and the implications of these dynamics in social work practice
Mental Health Policy
Emphasis on achieving quality and addressing disparities in mental health policies and service delivery issues
Trauma and Recovery
Emphasis on diversity and use of social work ethics and values when working with survivors of abuse and trauma
Human Behavior in the Social Environment
Understand human behavior and development as a base for social work practice
Find Greater Career Options By Learning to Serve Others
Our practitioner-based faculty will ensure you’re fully prepared for state licensure and entry into one of the most diverse fields in health care. With clinical skills in compassion, empathy, communication, and problem solving, you can seek a wide variety of positions including:
- Hospital, psychiatric, or group social worker
- Social work program planner
- Family therapist
- Substance abuse counselor
- Mental health policy analyst
- Private practice clinician
Download a FREE Program BrochureRequest Information >>
Disclaimers and Sources
- Professional licensure or certification may be required to practice, advance, or specialize in social work. The Utica College Online MSW program is registered in NYS, so it is designed to prepare students to apply for applicable licensure or certification in accordance with New York educational requirements for licensure. Students should consult with their state or provincial regulatory board to confirm requirements for licensure in their state. For more information on State Authorizations and licensure, please complete the Request More Information form or call now to speak to an Enrollment Counselor.
- “Social Workers | Occupational Outlook Handbook,” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved March 2021 from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/social-workers.htm.
- Utica College’s MSW program in clinical social work is currently in pre-candidacy for accreditation by the Council on Social Work Education’s commission (CSWE) on accreditation.
Pre-candidacy by CSWE indicates that an application for the MSW has been submitted to be reviewed for candidacy and had its Benchmark I approved in draft form to move forward with candidacy review within one year. A program that has attained pre-candidacy has not yet been reviewed by the Commission on Accreditation or been verified to be in compliance with the educational policy and accreditation standards.
Students who enter programs in pre-candidacy that attain candidacy within the academic year they begin their program of study will be retroactively recognized as having graduated from a CSWE-accredited program once the program attains initial accreditation. The candidacy process is typically a three-year process and there is no guarantee that a program in pre-candidacy will attain candidacy or initial accreditation.
Candidacy by the Council on Social Work Education’s commission on accreditation applies to all locations and delivery methods of an accredited program. Accreditation ensures that graduates have met the educational requirements to practice as a Licensed Clinical Social Work (LCSW) and provides reasonable assurance about the quality of the program and the competence of students graduating from the program.
For more information about social work accreditation, you may contact Accreditation.